Tiger Moth Memorial
Location: Cadell St, Narrandera (adjacent to the Narrandera Visitor Information Centre in Marie Bashir Park)
The Tiger Moth is the focal point of a memorial for those who trained at Narrandera’s No 8 EFTS (Elementary Flight Training School) during the Second World War. The display features the DH 82 Tiger Moth, a comprehensive collection of model airplanes and a range of photographic memorabilia relating to the training school at Narrandera.
On October 3, 1940, the first fiver Tiger Moth Aircraft (DH82-A) were flown in. The first intake of 60 Trainee Pilots, Course 5 (P) arrived on October 18, 1940 to commence their eight week course. By the end of October the schools strength was 24 Officers and 336 other ranks. In the four and half years of operation, 3,818 young men were trained in the elementary stages of flying.
It was a self contained unit with its own post office, hospital, gymnasium, swimming pool and sewerage system.
As the name No 8 EFTS suggests, the Narrandera Air School was one of a number established in Australia as part of the Empire Air Training Scheme which was established in April, 1940. The scheme created a world wide air training plan in which more than 250,000 young men were trained as pilots, navigators, wireless operators and air gunners for the various theatres of operations such as Europe, the Middle East, Burma and the South West Pacific.
The official opening of the Narrandera Memorial on October 2nd 1988, was performed by Air Chief Marshal (retd) Sir Neville McNamara, a former Chief of Air Staff who trained at Narrandera in 1942. He later returned as a Sergeant pilot instructor prior to operational flying in the South West Pacific area.
Opening Hours: 9:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Saturday, 10:00am to 1:30pm on Sundays.
Free entry and donations are appreciated.