Location: Lizard Dr
Once a busy paddle steamer transporting goods up and down the Murrumbidgee River, the Paddle Steamer Wagga Wagga now lies as a wreck in the river bed, and can be seen when the river is at a low level. A viewing platform is located approx 2.5kms along Lizard Drive. Follow the unsealed road and continue through gateway opening.
Historic Cemetery Site and Walk
Location: Douglas St
The original Narrandera Cemetery is found within the grounds of the Narrandera Forestry Centre. The small graveyard contains the remains of Narrandera’s first “doctor” Dr Trollope and was part of the original Narrandera Run, owned by the ruthless Edward Flood. Learn more about both these characters at the Narrandera Visitor Information Centre. Pick up the ‘mud map’ and take a self-guided tour of Narrandera Cemetery. Read of wartime tragedy, conquering landowners and murder victims.
Parkside Cottage Museum
Location: Crn Cadell and Twynam St
The Museum houses some very significant items, each telling a story of Australia. Of note is the MacArthur Cloak which is made from early Merino wool produced in Australia by the MacArthurs. Early Riverboat trade on the Murrumbidgee is represented by the navigation maps of Captain T Bynon.
Opening Hours: Mon and Tues 2pm to 5pm and Wed to Sun 11am to 5pm
Entry: Adult $2 Seniors $1 Children .50c.
Phone: (02) 6959 1372
Kiesling’s Lane Heritage Wall
This is a short pedestrian laneway in the main street just off the raised pedestrian crossing near the pharmacy. The story of Narrandera’s development is told on a series of storyboards and images on the wall.
Location: 154 Larmer St, Narrandera
Thomas Fennell, an Airds Irishman fresh from the Bendigo gold diggings, took over the Gillenbah punt and store in 1858.
In June 1860 Fennell advised that he had recently built a two storey hotel equal to any in Wagga. This was the Turf Club, by 1865 called the Hit or Miss and by 1866 the Riverine.
The building was used as a court room for Narrandera’s first court case in 1862. It was also used for the inquest into the deaths of the Pohlmann Bros who were murdered at the Cudgell Sandhills in 1868. The inquest was conducted by T.A. Brown of Bundidgerie Station who later wrote Robbery Under Arms under the name Rolf Boldrewood.
The building was also used when the Australian Stock Bank opened for business in 1875. The same year Archdeacon Powell held the first Anglican Church services in the Hit or Miss Hotel.
After the building ceased to function as a hotel it became a boarding house.
The present owners have restored the old hotel as a private residence