CWA Rest House

Location: Yapunyah Street
The Country Women’s Association Rest House in Barellan, dating from July 1924, is of State significance for being one of the first ‘CWA rest houses’ purpose-built by local country women in Australia. The name ‘rest room’ has often been confusing to outsiders, who have seen it as a coy term for public lavatories. But what the women of the CWA were creating in their rest rooms was a home away from home, where they could put their feet up, allow the kids to roam free, make a cup of tea and conduct meetings in dignity and comfort. The rooms certainly contained clean toilet facilities but went far beyond this.

Translate »